PDA

View Full Version : Guitar suggestions for people with fat fingers

bigbru
03-02-2004, 03:12 PM
i want to learn to play, but the few guitars ive looked at, the neck is alittle too slim for my fingers. any suggestions?

sum1
03-02-2004, 05:02 PM
my fingers used to be fat.. and theyre sorta short too.. but since ive been playing theyve lost weight in thinned out a little and it makes them stretch out farther too.. so id just play on a guitar if you really want to.. bass is always really fun and its more spaced out

again its up to what you wanna do.. you can play guitar even with fat fingers but it may take a little while to get better

homebrewer_99
03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Are your fingers long and fat or short and fat?

Either way, there is a neck out there for you. Look for a wide neck with large frets.

guitardeam0n
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by homebrewer_99
Are your fingers long and fat or short and fat?

Either way, there is a neck out there for you. Look for a wide neck with large frets.

Check out Les Pauls they have big necks.

oh man i remember when i first started playing guitar, everyone said i wasnt going to be good becuase my ahnds were so small. from my middle finger knuckle to the tip is a wee bit over 4 inches....kinda sad, oh but when i pull out argpeggios at school, it shuts everyone up. Well you know what the say about small hands...small gloves :cool:

homebrewer_99
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Oops. I wasn't done.

If you have short stubby fingers then you will be limited in some of the music you can play as well as having to modify some of your chord structures.

I have long and skinny fingers, but depending on the song I make an A chord as a barre across the D-G-B strings and don't play the bottom string for songs in So. Rock; for a D chord instead of using your 1st and 3rd finger at the second fret you can barre the bottom 3 strings and use your 2d or 3rd finger (whichever is most comfortable for you) at the 3rd fret second string.

You just have to think a bit different.

For the normal open A chord most players use fingers 1, 2, and 3 across the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings while I've always configured my fingers 2-1-3 (something like an inverted D chord) because I could not get then all across as the books show.

Happy hunting.

guitardeam0n
03-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by sum1
my fingers used to be fat.. and theyre sorta short too.. but since ive been playing theyve lost weight in thinned out a little and it makes them stretch out farther too.. so id just play on a guitar if you really want to.. bass is always really fun and its more spaced out

again its up to what you wanna do.. you can play guitar even with fat fingers but it may take a little while to get better

Have you ever seen the guy from symphony X ( crap cant rememeber his name) but his fingers are pretty big (fat) and hes crazy at shredding.

ibleedmarshall
03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by guitardeam0n
Have you ever seen the guy from symphony X ( crap cant rememeber his name) but his fingers are pretty big (fat) and hes crazy at shredding.

Yngwie's got some fat fingers, and he can rip too....

bigbru
03-02-2004, 06:50 PM
thanks for the help. my fingers are long and fat. i tried playing a few chords a friends epi les paul classic and it was a little bit of a problem not muting the open strings. i hear the prs tremonti se has a wide neck. any reviews on it?

lespaul22089
03-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Mike romeo? well, hes real good at guitar too.

deftones
03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
my friend had this problem, he ended up playing bass instead.

toast
03-02-2004, 08:44 PM
from my middle finger knuckle to the tip is a wee bit over 4 inches....kinda sad, oh but when i pull out argpeggios at school, it shuts everyone up. Well you know what the say about small hands...small gloves :cool:

From which point on the nuckle? On me, on the palm side just where my finger connects there's a line (the nucke side closest to the tip) mine's about 1/32" away from 3"...guess mine must be micro compared to everyone else

Mettra
03-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Check out Les Pauls they have big necks.

NOOO!!!! If you have short fingers, you need a SMALLER neck! Much easier to reach. I outta know, my middle finger's like 3 inches from my palm.

bigbru
03-03-2004, 10:27 AM
my middle finger is about 3.5" to 4", depending on where you measure from. the tips of my fingers are about 5/8" thick. what do they say about these kind of hands?

cma
03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Accoustic guitars have a wider neck (at least mine has *g*)

SpinCycl
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
I have fat fingers - and I used to think I could not play because of it. There are some major players in bands that have fingers even bigger than mine, so I just tried it and found that as I practiced, that I could do it just fine.

Now I still have trouble with certain chords and fingerings, but I just have to do it a little different than others may. In fact I kinda like fat fingers, because I can fret ajacent strings with one finger, while a thin finger would require two.

YES - a wide spaced acoustic, or les paul would be nice.
I initially had trouble with a Strat, but after playing it a while it was OK for me. I still like my Ibanez because the neck is thin and the frets are HUGE!

Joking or not, it still seems like your fingers get thinner after lots of practice.

spot
03-03-2004, 01:54 PM
play bass

AlucardKaze
03-03-2004, 07:19 PM
I have big hands and big fingers too. It held me back a little at first but you can definately learn to play just as good as anyone with smaller fingers. I can use one finger to fret two strings also and that is very helpful.

CaNaDiAN,Eh?
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
My fingers aren't really fat but they are super short my middle finger is only 6.7 cm ( 2.8 inches). I am having a horrible time trying to play songs that require you to play say the 12th and 16th frets. I just can't do it. No matter how I position my hand I can't do it, when I actually manage to get my fingers on the right frets the strings won't vibrate because I can't get my fingers positioned the right way. I play a Epiphone LP Special and it doesn't seem to have a very wide neck ( not that I really have anything to compare it to).

bigbru
03-04-2004, 02:49 PM
thanks for all of the replies. any suggestions on an electric guitar around $400? i really like the les paul and semi-hollow body styles.