PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean to play in the key of e

ericc1123
07-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I was searching around the david crowder band's website (http://www.davidcrowderband.com/recordings/tabs.php) and most of their songs are in the key of e, eg 'undignified'. in their own notes, an a chord is drawn but shows none of the strings need to be pressed. does this mean i need a capo or what? also they show an e chord with only the 'a' string pressed.

Jed
07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I was searching around the david crowder band's website (http://www.davidcrowderband.com/recordings/tabs.php) and most of their songs are in the key of e, eg 'undignified'. in their own notes, an a chord is drawn but shows none of the strings need to be pressed. does this mean i need a capo or what? also they show an e chord with only the 'a' string pressed.

The open strings define the notes of E A D G B & E:
These notes could function as an Emin11, or an Asus9/E, or a Dsus9 add13/E.

The open strings with a B fretted on the 5th string / 2nd fret define the notes of E B D G B & E:
These notes function as an Emin add11.

Malcolm
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Key to understanding his fake chord and or tabs is to understand how to tune to Eb. To tune to Eb just take all strings flat, i.e. Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb
http://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/010521/11.shtml

After you do that just follow the instructions.
Beautiful Collision says to tune to Eb - Capo on the 4th and play using key of C Chords.
Here is our King says to tune to Eb - Capo on the 4th and play using key of G chords.
Then Come Awake says to tune to Eb do not capo and play using key of G chords.

So after you tune all strings down a half step. It's just like any other fake chord or tab sheet music.

JimC8p
07-24-2007, 07:06 AM
that's weird isn't it? why tune down and then capo?

Malcolm
07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Praise music is a little different than what we normally play.
No expert on this by any means.......
Church music tends to use the flat keys - people sing flat.
The song leader wants to be able to play sing & lead the prayers all at the same time - with out thinking about his guitar - Notice the songs are capoed and being played in easy keys of G and C.

Cut capo is used a lot in Praise music as you have three drone strings that can continue to ring as the leader speaks to the audiance - and with a cut capo he/she can do a I IV V without thinking. However in looking at the tabs, it does not appear that these songs were written for a cut capo and a normal capo is to be used. Just another observation about Praise music in general.

My two cents......

JimC8p
07-24-2007, 08:07 AM
People sing flat?? Well I certainly do anyway! What I meant was - why detune a half step then capo on the 4th fret, when you could just capo on the 3rd?

Thinking about it now, it's pretty obvious it's just so you can play all those songs as a set without changing guitar.

Malcolm
07-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Along those same lines. We vacation in Mountain View, ARK. That's were people jamm acoustic music around the court house square and the RV parks all day and way up into the night.

A large percent of them will capo and play everything in G. Song called out to be in A, they capo and play in G, because, they have learned all their tricks, licks, etc in G.

Beginner
07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Key to understanding his fake chord and or tabs is to understand how to tune to Eb. To tune to Eb just take all strings flat, i.e. Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, ebhttp://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/010521/11.shtml

After you do that just follow the instructions.
Beautiful Collision says to tune to Eb - Capo on the 4th and play using key of C Chords.
Here is our King says to tune to Eb - Capo on the 4th and play using key of G chords.
Then Come Awake says to tune to Eb do not capo and play using key of G chords.

So after you tune all strings down a half step. It's just like any other fake chord or tab sheet music.

Okay, my tuner has an option that enables me to tune my guitar strings to flat notes. I do wonder how flat notes sound as I always use standard tuning E A D G B E for my guitar~:confused:

Malcolm
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
How flat is flat? Not a lot....... since your tuner will let you do this give it a try.

Beginner
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
How flat is flat? Not a lot....... since your tuner will let you do this give it a try.

Tried it already, sounds quite nice. When I put one note flat that is Eb Ab..tuning, played songs in G key which sounds very nice, warm, low but bright sound. Later I tuned m guitar to two notes flat down and sound nicer but way out a bit. I heard that most guitar shops tune their guitars half-tuned to make them more playable, that explains why the guitars at shops sound different than my guitar at home. Tuning difference, one problem solved. :D