PDA

View Full Version : String peg pulling

lewiskei
01-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi Folks,

Just a quick question for all you experts. I recently bought a Yamaha CPX5 electro-acoustic and it has the peg type string retainers at the bridge end. Is there a special tool to remove the pegs or is it just BFI (brute force and ignorance)? :confused:

eyeballz03
01-21-2003, 03:19 AM
Yeah, Theres a tool that is used to pull the pegs. But I dont really know where to buy them. I bought a Ibanez a few months ago and this little peg puller came with the guitar. Maybe you can try musiciansfriend.com or maybe call them.

lewiskei
01-21-2003, 05:20 AM
Cheers. I'll have a scout round and see if I can find one anywhere.

Aginor
01-21-2003, 03:53 PM
You could just use a pliers to pull them out

zKing
01-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Whatever you use, don't just grab the peg and yank hard...try to work it out with a little twisting/wiggling. On an acoustic, with the possible exception of the neck, the bridge is THE most important (and definately most fragile) area on the guitar. MANY acoustics (usually the cheap ones) get tossed in the garbage heap because the bridge area starts to come apart in some way.

I'm not trying to freak you out, its not made of paper, but just take a LITTLE bit of caution when playing with that end of things.

An acoustic guitar is loud because the strings vibrate the bridge which vibrates the face of the guitar, just like a speaker cone this moves a lot of air. Strings over the sound hole has nothing to do with how an acoustic guitar makes noise. Anyhow you can see why the bridge is so darned important from this picture of things.

Nick
01-21-2003, 07:18 PM
slacken the strings right off and put your hand/fingers throught the sound hole and push them up and out from the bottom. (works for me, every time)

Perfect4th
01-24-2003, 08:43 PM
They sell peg pullers. Any music shop will have one. Most string winders have them built in.

Peace!