PDA

View Full Version : Do guitars go up in value?

Metallicka
08-09-2003, 02:53 PM
I was just wondering since my guitar is a limited edition whether guitars go up in value much? My guitar is only a mid range guitar and cost £400 but would it have just held it's value, gone up due to lm edit or gone down harshly?

C130
08-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Hmmm I don't know, because guitars are a somewhat strange I guess. I was in a shop some time ago looking at some models, and I was asking the guy who had the shop about the price of a particular guitar. I can't rememebr what exactly the conmversation was about, I think I was telling him how a friend of mine bought the same model from him yars ago for a lower price. Anyway the whole point is, he told me that with years guitars go up in price. So a model which was 300 pounds one year may be 500 in 3 years. Of course he could be just telling me BS. But when YOU have a used guitar, and you are about to sell it, you'll be expected to sell it for a much lower price than what you originally paid for. So... I have no idea.

Metallicka
08-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Yeah, the guy in the local guitar shop here is a real con man. I bought my guitar from him but I checked in an Academy of Sound catalogue and it was the same price in there even though he said he was knocking money off for me.

My guitar is an Ibanez RG450DX lm edit. I've noticed that the non limited editions are made in korea and the limited's are made in Japan so they are superior. This makes me wonder if it would be worth more than the £400 I paid for it or whether it would just lose less value than a non lm edit one.

sewerhobo
08-09-2003, 03:33 PM
hmmm... my guess is that over the short term it will probably lose value a little but over the long term it will probably increase in value. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ibleedmarshall
08-09-2003, 04:00 PM
I think a lot depends on the specific guitar. A '58 Les Paul is worth a whole hell of a lot more now, then in '58. Likewise a Bernie Rico Sr. B.C. Rich is worth a whole lot more now because he is dead.

But don't expect every guitar to go up in value. I'm not thinking that anyone is gonna be lusting after my guitars in 10 years...

suppaenitetere
08-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Depends on the guitar mainly. For example, vintage 50s-60s strats/teles/LPs went WAY up in value, but something like a silertone or stella isnt worth anything. It just depends on what people percieve as good a few years down the line. I would speculate yours will go down drastically then come up to its value again. I cant imagine a japanese guitar commanding too large a price. Also, shred may be a fad just like hairmetal, you never know. The RG style guitars may go the way of the pointy guitar as far as value, or they may be the next 10,000 dollar guitar in 20-30 years.

Metallicka
08-09-2003, 08:19 PM
I don't know anything about guitars. Enlighten me, I thought being made in Japan was a good thing coz it meant it had quality parts.

suppaenitetere
08-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Well, made in japan is better than man in korea but usually the high quality guitars are american made. Of course thats not true in all cases and its changing more and more but traditionally you had cheap and overseas or good and american.

ibleedmarshall
08-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Another important factor is the number of guitars that were made. There aren't many 50's Les Pauls left, and that is why they are so valuable. Same w/ the handmade Riches...

I don't think that any non custom shop guitars coming out today are gonna be going up in value too much. There are just too many guitars coming off the assembly lines.

And traditionally the better guitars are American made...

popmusic_sux
08-10-2003, 01:17 AM
yeah its just like collecting anything else, baseball cards, cars, etc. the older the item is, the number there are left in the world and the items condition are all factors.