Online Guitar & Bass Community

GuitarLodge.com
Online Guitar & Bass Community
Cartoon
Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
1st fret

Complete beginner

Hey

I recently finished college and therefore have very little to do until I start University in October. I've decided that I should learn to the play the guitar because I love music and I would love to be able to play.

I've managed to get my hands on an acoustic guitar which sounds great. I've browsed the site and think the best place to start is probably chords and learning to strum. Am I right with this? Should I start learning scales as well?

Just a little bit of early guidance would be great!

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
19th fret

You've definitely got the right idea so far. I wouldn't worry about scales too much at this point, but they're something to look into soon. It wouldn't hurt to learn some basic theory as you're starting out, which could include scales, but as far as actually playing, just work on some basic chord shapes and strumming.
Carvin C250 Cobalt acoustic
modded '69 Fender Bassman w/ Supro cab
Crate V32 Palomino
TS808 Tube Screamer
ZVex Fuzz Factory
and an assortment of random pedals and such
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 PM
20th fret

Fake chord sheet music and five to seven chords and you are making music.

Let Google pull up some fake chord for you. Google these key words:
guitar chords, "name of the song" the comma and quote marks are important.

Here is an easy one:
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/ww...dColdHeart.cpm
Print it off and.......

The A7 and D chord are an introduction. At the lyric word "I" make a D chord and start strumming - all down strums are OK right now. It's a feel thing one strum per lyric word will probably work.

O'h did I mention you need to be singing the song as you strum...... when you get to the lyric word "dream" change to an A7 chord - keep strumming and singing - when you get to the word "scheme" change back to a D chord. Just keep doing that and you are making music.

Here is how Hank did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYTOHernds

I like to play songs a whole lot more than just learning chord shapes. You can learn your chords as you need them in songs. There are probably a gizillion chords -do what you think best..... Notice that fake chord gave you the chord shapes you needed.
Have fun.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
2nd fret

Cheers also Malcolm, though ive learned the basic chords also the dreaded F chord now i can play through quite a few songs but i play with a book then close book + try play through the song, but i get bored playing through same song i get say half way through the song for instance "The Boxer" by Simon Garfunkel then i have to open book up for 2 nd say halve of the song
then i just move on to nxt song in my book The Eagles "Take It Easy" for instance and im able practically getting with that song, sometimes the odd slight mishap with the odd mistake in it, i also play so far along to Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" then report back to my book, think im trying to many through boredom to learn at the same time ive heard, do u think thats the case ? Like to here from you soon thanks, as it's frustrating i can play these songs through with the book open but as soon as i close the book, i only get so far through then have to open book up again to check
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
20th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanlad View Post
.... i can play these songs through with the book open but as soon as i close the book, i only get so far through then have to open book up again to check
Who says you can not play from a gig book? I do it all the time. Sure the pros never do, think about it - they are playing their same old original songs, over and over and over and over..... It's OK for us mortals to use a gig book.

We have over 200 songs in our master gig book. We keep 35 +/- in the book we take to gigs. Yes I take a gig book to gigs. We normally run through 15 songs per hour. Ten are old standbys and the rest are selected from the book to match the crowd. The selections change all the time, just keeping up with the lyrics I need a book.

Now I can jamm rhythm guitar to a song I've never heard before, just give me the key, but, I can do a better job if I am playing chords that are harmonizing exactly with what the vocalist is singing - I can do that if the vocalist and I are working from the same sheet music. So we do. Don't be shy about playing from sheet music. In a jamm circle those that will introduce new songs show up with their music. Use your sheet music as long as you need it. Most keyboardist are lost with out their sheet music. I'm beginning to preach........

Suggestion; Work on two songs per week. One new one and one old one that you are putting the finishing touches on. Finishing touches -- make notes in the margins how you could improve your playing - add a run here or there, insert an extension or substitute another chord. http://fretplay.com/guitar-videos/1026-0-ivideosongs/ When you get that old song to your liking add it to your gig book and pick a new song to work on. Like I said we have over 200 in our master gig book. Just checked it's 206. When you go on your first interstate tour you will not be able to take your gig book on stage, until then no one cares. Going on a camp out - take your guitar AND gig book.

Have fun.

Last edited by Malcolm; 08-11-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
20th fret

Are you singing and playing at the same time? If not that's next. To start sing under your breath - you probably are doing this already just to know when to change chords. In a week or so you will notice your are singing the lyrics out loud.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
2nd fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Who says you can not play from a gig book? I do it all the time. Sure the pros never do, think about it - they are playing their same old original songs, over and over and over and over..... It's OK for us mortals to use a gig book.

We have over 200 songs in our master gig book. We keep 35 +/- in the book we take to gigs. Yes I take a gig book to gigs. We normally run through 15 songs per hour. Ten are old standbys and the rest are selected from the book to match the crowd. The selections change all the time, just keeping up with the lyrics I need a book.

Now I can jamm rhythm guitar to a song I've never heard before, just give me the key, but, I can do a better job if I am playing chords that are harmonizing exactly with what the vocalist is singing - I can do that if the vocalist and I are working from the same sheet music. So we do. Don't be shy about playing from sheet music. In a jamm circle those that will introduce new songs show up with their music. Use your sheet music as long as you need it. Most keyboardist are lost with out their sheet music. I'm beginning to preach........

Suggestion; Work on two songs per week. One new one and one old one that you are putting the finishing touches on. Finishing touches -- make notes in the margins how you could improve your playing - add a run here or there, insert an extension or substitute another chord. http://fretplay.com/guitar-videos/1026-0-ivideosongs/ When you get that old song to your liking add it to your gig book and pick a new song to work on. Like I said we have over 200 in our master gig book. Just checked it's 206. When you go on your first interstate tour you will not be able to take your gig book on stage, until then no one cares. Going on a camp out - take your guitar AND gig book.

Have fun.
Hi Again malcolm thanks, though i dont do gigs as cant remember the chords of by heart as yet + yeh i realise im trying to play to many songs from the book at same time one after the other, as from now ill try say 2 songs + try stick to them until i can master them without the book then move on to nxt song to learn, thing is ive got these guys in a bar i frequent where they have played guitar for yrs + are pretty good + one guy at the bar sais "When we gonna get a song from you" i told him i can play few songs with book but im gonna try learn without by memory + thats something else, they play guitar + sing to folk music but also i here them on ocassion play the songs like the ones i play though without a book + when i told one guy i can play certain songs from book, he replied but you aint giving yourself any credit playing from a book + better to learn one song at a time from book until you can play without until you feel competent then move on to learn nxt song without book etc It's playing by memory which i seem to get so far at times ok then i become a bit stuck, so guess where i become stuck is where i should pay more particular to that part for as to learn eh
Anyhow ill stick to it, having sais that there's one guy + hes one of the main players in that bar + is good, he plays for about 3 hrs rapid, he does on the odd ocassion play with his gig book the odd song ive noticed, but just like me he strums + is taking lessons now from a guitar m8 to learn the picking but again thats another big step up eh
I have also never learned scales + feel id find that hard to learn
as i only strum + to song sheets i got made out from chordie basically.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
20th fret

Don't get into scales right now. Concentrate on playing chord accompaniment to your vocal rendition of the song. Keep focused on that till you can sing and play through 15 songs - using fake chord sheet music - then start your venture into scales and melody. This guitar thing is a journey taken one step at a time. Fifteen songs from now start your scale work with the following in mind.

Be able to play those 15 songs while singing and playing from fake chord sheet music, but, now after two verses and one chorus pass the lead from your voice to your guitar and play a 24 bar melody lead solo of the chorus. After that pass the lead back to your voice and sing and play accompaniment to the last verse, repeat the chorus and tag the last line (of the chorus) to end the song. That is a realistic goal for your scale work and gives you something to work on for the next year at the very least.

Most take on scales and get lost in mode and improvisation land. Only reason to learn scales IMHO is so you can play a melodic lead break that other people can recognize as being the tune to something. Course that's just my opinion.

Sounds like you had a good time at the bar.

Give this some thought - sounds like the guys want to hear you play something. After you get some songs under your belt take your gig book to the bar and play and sing those songs while the guys back you up (play with you) then give them the lead break after the first chorus. Now that could be fun. Could lead to you playing rhythm guitar in the second row. AND THAT IS FUN.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
2nd fret

Smile

Hi Thanks for the Info Malcolm and ill stick with it, as told the guys i shall stick with it and i meant such, ill let u know how i do and Ooh ye i do have fun time at the bar
even when been going without my guitar in Edinburgh, but im waiting until things calm down as it's very busy with the festival on the now with tourists etc
to busyyyy to tke my guitar just now likes but shall when things quieten down a touch meantime you tke care and keep guitaring away ok
Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 PM
1st fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive-Got-Soul View Post
Hey

I recently finished college and therefore have very little to do until I start University in October. I've decided that I should learn to the play the guitar because I love music and I would love to be able to play.

I've managed to get my hands on an acoustic guitar which sounds great. I've browsed the site and think the best place to start is probably chords and learning to strum. Am I right with this? Should I start learning scales as well?

Just a little bit of early guidance would be great!

Thanks

I teach guitar to beginners, there are so many different things to learn and in the early stages it can be confusing knowing what to concentrate on.
My advice is to learn basic open chords and strumming patterns.
Play along to easy songs with a few easy chords such as "wonderwall" or "knocking on heavens door"

When you have cracked this then learn barre chords then move on to fingerpicking, scales and single string work

How to start guitar videos

hope this helps
Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
1st fret

I would get most of the main chords down first(D,G,A,etc.) before you start learning scales. It`s good to know the basics first before advancing.