GuitarLodge.com

Online Guitar & Bass Community

GuitarLodge.com
Online Guitar & Bass Community
Cartoon

Go Back   GuitarLodge.com Guitar & Bass Forum > Guitar & Bass Learning > Techniques

Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
11th fret

Best way to practice trills?

Am I the only one that has problems with trills... or as Joe Satriani calls it "Fluttering" ? If I were to do a flutter/trill like this..

G |--2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3--|

And just repeat on and on, the fastest I could get that, would be maybe 142 BPM if I played that in 16th notes... But then if I played a normal legato pattern like this (all hammers and pulls, of course):

B |--------2-4-5------2-4-5-------2-4-5--|
G |-2-3-5-------2-3-5-------2-3-5--------|

And so on, I can get that pretty fast for a decent amount of time. But it's just when I play the aforementioned piece, my two fingers just feel kinda stiff. Anyone have any tips? Maybe I'm not doing the best finger or hand stretches or warm-ups?

Or is the best advice to just keep practicing the 2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3 piece with a metronome?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 AM
10th fret

The only tip I can give you regarding this technique would be to get a copy of Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina. His book covers all this type of stuff and is highly recommended. I cant really give my own opinion as i havent had the time to get stuck into it, though it does cover all sorts of work outs etc and gives you a tabbed Flight of the Bumble Bee! (Which is something ive never heard) but is apparently a great piece!.My advice would be to Buy this Book , Start off slowly, and be accurate above all before you increase speed, Take breaks and dont force it. good luck! Cheers.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
11th fret

I actually already own a copy of Speed Mechanics... AND Rock Discipline (John Petrucci) and my fingers do tend to feel a little stiff and get fatigued easily.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
1st fret

Play slowly. and give a triplet feel .... avoid on hitting the string to hard and make sure your finger motion are very minimum. you'll be fine i think