GuitarLodge.com

Online Guitar & Bass Community

GuitarLodge.com
Online Guitar & Bass Community
Cartoon
Old 09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
11th fret

irregular rhythm exercises

As the topic title says, I'm in need of practicing some irregular rhythm exercises. I have trouble visualizing how exactly something with a mess of tied notes, dotted notes, 16th, 32nd, and 8th notes should sound.

So if anyone knows of any websites that could provide some of this stuff, please let me know
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 AM
10th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
As the topic title says, I'm in need of practicing some irregular rhythm exercises. I have trouble visualizing how exactly something with a mess of tied notes, dotted notes, 16th, 32nd, and 8th notes should sound.

So if anyone knows of any websites that could provide some of this stuff, please let me know
Again Speed Mechanics may help you with this.I Think Malcolm may be able to put up a link for you for this.cheers.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
11th fret

I already have Speed Mechanics. It's just really hard to try and grasp just how different 6/8 time sounds from 3/4, or anything like that.

Speed Mechanics of course tells "6/8 time means there's 6 eighth notes per measure" and that's about it. OK. Well, going by the laws of fractions, 6/8 is the same as 3/4. So couldn't that music just as easily be translated to a 3/4 time signature? According to everyone, no.

Basically I'm just trying to find ways of trying to "feel" the rhythm. Not just read a book and listen to some guy play a 6/8 piece at 168 BPM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 PM
20th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I already have Speed Mechanics. Basically I'm just trying to find ways of trying to "feel" the rhythm. Not just read a book and listen to some guy play a 6/8 piece at 168 BPM.
You answered your own question. 6/8 has more beats in the measure - six, eighth beats (notes or dotted rests) instead of three quarter notes per measure - so it's not the same -- how if you are playing rhythm guitar.....

Timing - 6/8 or 3/4? I play 3/4 and 4/4 and then sing the song under my breath with the vocalist for the other stuff. Not the answer you want, but, that's what I do. Course I play rhythm guitar (strum patterns) and believe the rhythm guitar should augment the vocalist or solo instrument. Case in point. We had a really good rhythm guitarist that was a stickler for keeping time, only problem with this most non professional vocalists do not keep good time. They do things like take a little extra time to catch their breath between verses, things like that. My friend was always complaining that the vocalist did not keep time, only problem with that - the vocalist is the director's Wife. You notice I said we had a good rhythm guitarist......

IMO - If you are playing rhythm accompaniment our job is to augment what is happening, not necessarily what is written on the sheet music.

Now if you are playing melody, or laying down a bass line - that's another story and you do need to follow the time signature. Metronome or click track will have value. Even Sir Paul will use a click track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFcsEtFIKA Don't know of any sites that would let you regulate the timing, sorry. {EDIT} Google sent me here. Looks like it's free. http://www.metronomeonline.com/ Perhaps others will have more to offer.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.