GuitarLodge.com

Online Guitar & Bass Community

GuitarLodge.com
Online Guitar & Bass Community
Cartoon

Go Back   GuitarLodge.com Guitar & Bass Forum > Guitar & Bass Talk > Gear Forum

Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 AM
5th fret

Question Pickups: Carvin M22SD or Seymour Duncan JB?

I searched the forums for "M22SD" and pretty much all of the results were posts made by S3CUR3 raving about how it's his favorite pickup . This sounds good, but I'm looking for more of a direct comparison between that and the SD JB.
I like to play J-rock, hard rock, and heavy metal.
The M22SD is cheaper: $56 shipped while the JB is around $70 plus shipping.
I do not want to buy used pickups.
And first of all, can the M22SD replace any humbucker? Looking at this picture , the pickup has 3 support screws (2 on one side, 1 on the other), while the JB and my current stock pickup have only 2 (1 on each side).

1) How do they compare? (in all aspects)
2) Is the JB worth the extra money?
3) Are there any other pickups in this price range that I should consider? (around $70 or less)

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
24th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twim
The JB has a higher resistance so it is a higher output pickup. It has more emphasis on trebel and mids and the M22SD has more emphasis on low end.

Quote:
It depends on what wood your guitar is made of. If you have a bright tone wood, the JB will work against you and be much too bright and brittle sounding. If you have a dark and warm tone wood, then it would be excellent.

Quote:
3) Are there any other pickups in this price range that I should consider? (around $70 or less)Thanks.
Yeah seymour ducnan also makes a model called the "custom 5" or SH-14. It's essentially the JB's counterpart. It's the perfect pickup for bright tone wood guitars. I would have put one in my DC135 in a heartbeat if I didn't already have the wolfgang pickup (since my DC's main tone wood is maple which is bright).

What wood is your guitar made of? What type guitar is it? Once we establish the wood type, then we can start looking at different pickups. But also keep in mind that carvin sells the M22T which is a good all around pickup for any wood. It's got a well balanced tone.

There are enough pickups out there to make your head spin but once you get your wood type figured out and pick a style of music that you will be mostly focusing on, then you can start singling out pickups.

My Gear

Check out my music
Old 10-31-2005, 12:11 PM
5th fret

I have an alder strat copy. Yamaha PAC112J.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM
24th fret

OK. Yeah alder is a relatively light but resonant wood. It's tonal focus is in the mid to highs so you'll want a pickup that isn't bright and has more low end focus. I'm willing to bet that the Custom 5 will be the best option and compliment to the alder. I think the JB would be a tad too bright. If you play metal though then the JB still wound't be THAT bad but it would lack a little low end punch.

My Gear

Check out my music
Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM
19th fret

Since the wood is a fairly brighter wood I suggest you look at the SD duncan distortion because I have heard people say that this pickup has a nice tight low-end.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
24th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_kid
Since the wood is a fairly brighter wood I suggest you look at the SD duncan distortion because I have heard people say that this pickup has a nice tight low-end.
Ehhh, the duncan distortion's tone chart looks like this

Bass - 6
Mids - 9
Treble - 9

My Gear

Check out my music
Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
17th fret

Quote:
I searched the forums for "M22SD" and pretty much all of the results were posts made by S3CUR3 raving about how it's his favorite pickup . This sounds good, but I'm looking for more of a direct comparison between that and the SD JB.
I like to play J-rock, hard rock, and heavy metal.
The M22SD is cheaper: $56 shipped while the JB is around $70 plus shipping.
I do not want to buy used pickups.
And first of all, can the M22SD replace any humbucker? Looking at this picture , the pickup has 3 support screws (2 on one side, 1 on the other), while the JB and my current stock pickup have only 2 (1 on each side).

3) Are there any other pickups in this price range that I should consider? (around $70 or less)

Thanks.
Hehe. The M22SD has an outrageously high output. For my mahogany bodied Carvins, it's perfect. It just screams. However, you've got an alder bodied strat, so that makes me assume that you aren't looking to play ultra-high gain music. If you're going more for a classic rock or blues-rock sound, I would probably suggest the JB or something a little more bass-heavy from Duncan.

Music
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
5th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3CUR3
However, you've got an alder bodied strat, so that makes me assume that you aren't looking to play ultra-high gain music. If you're going more for a classic rock or blues-rock sound, I would probably suggest the JB or something a little more bass-heavy from Duncan.
I actually do want to play relatively high gain music.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM
19th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Ehhh, the duncan distortion's tone chart looks like this

Bass - 6
Mids - 9
Treble - 9
hmm I wonder if that is a typo cus the old tone chart had it Bass-9 Mids-9 Treble-6
Old 10-31-2005, 09:36 PM
5th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_kid
hmm I wonder if that is a typo cus the old tone chart had it Bass-9 Mids-9 Treble-6
I think that is a typo because I just listened to the sound clips on SD's site and it sounds like it has more powerful bass tone than the JB. The SH-6 Duncan Distortion looks good so far.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:39 AM
17th fret

Quote:
I actually do want to play relatively high gain music.
In that case... I really don't know. A lot of people on the Carvin boards hate the M22's in anything but mahogany. I guess the worst you could do is try it, hate it, and send it back under the ten day guarantee.

Music
Old 11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
24th fret

Or find one on ebay. Or ask on the carvinmuseum.com for sale forum. I can garuntee you SOMEONE has one or at least knows someone with one for sale. Ain't no shame in buying a used pickup. My holdsworth pickup that used to be in my DC135 sold to a guy in the UK for about $30 but cost $20 to send it to him

My Gear

Check out my music
Old 11-01-2005, 11:22 AM
10th fret

Seymour Duncan pickups are awsome and will suit all your needs, for any type of music.
Traynor YCS412 Cab
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-XL 2x12
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
5th fret

Conclusion:
Since I don't think any Carvin humbucker will work in my guitar without having to buy a pickguard made by Carvin (read 1st post), I will have to get a Seymour Duncan.
Of the sound clips I heard on the SD site, I think the Duncan Distortion would be the best because it sounds more balanced than the JB. I'm glad they're the same price.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
23rd fret

Check the specs of some pickups at dimarzio.com. They make a few high-gain models which you may be interested in.

That is a really interesting concept: narrowing down choice in pickups based on the composition of your instrument.

Last edited by bassman60; 11-01-2005 at 04:45 PM.