GuitarLodge.com

Online Guitar & Bass Community

GuitarLodge.com
Online Guitar & Bass Community
Cartoon
Old 03-12-2006, 02:32 PM
4th fret

Ascending vs Descending runs

I find that if im playing a fast picking run, its easier to play descending than ascending. Does anybody have any ideas how to improve quick ascending runs?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:52 PM
8th fret

It is harder for most people to do ascending runs. But The only way to get better is to practice! sorry, but there's no way out of it!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:33 PM
8th fret

Ascending runs are a bit harder, but just practice the sthi out of them with a metronome. A good one to learn is the one from Pull Me Under by Dreamtheater. There is a very cool fast ascending lick he plays in that song a few times.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
23rd fret

maybe look into economy picking

In improvising within a modal context, a musician would basically start by thinking about playing the notes within that specific mode (e.g., D Dorian: D, E, F, G, A, B, C, D). - wikipedia "modal jazz" article
-
"In its most conventional sense, tonality refers to just the major and minor scale types - scales whose elements are capable of maintaining a consistent set of functional relationships." - A. Milne
Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
8th fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codemeister
Ascending runs are a bit harder, but just practice the sthi out of them with a metronome. A good one to learn is the one from Pull Me Under by Dreamtheater. There is a very cool fast ascending lick he plays in that song a few times.
I have that song on my Ipod. John Petrucci is truly amazing. The ascending speed run he plays in Pull Me Under is mindblowing. Esecially since he plays with such clarity.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:45 PM
4th fret

When i First started playing lead guitar I always had problems with decending licks/runs. I was always the other way around. I could do most of my licks in accending runs...what I did was I was taught Legato which showed me the easiest way to do decending...but legato is tought doing acending runs...its always like ass backwards when playing guitar...just keep practicing and you'll be where you need to be. It usually takes a strong guitarist 3-4 months to get a technique down if you practice the certain technique atleats 1 hour everyday.

It took me 3-4 months to be able to do legato fluently.